I have applied for asylum and I am unable to afford medication that I need


If you are an asylum seeker you are entitled to free NHS healthcare while you are waiting for the outcome of your asylum application and appeals.

To receive these services for free you must complete an HC1 form. You will need to prove your address from a Home Office letter, bill or similar document addressed to you as the asylum applicant. If you are approved you will be given a ‘HC2 Certificate’.

Services that you may receive without charge are:

  • HIV/AIDS tests and treatment
  • Sexually transmitted infections
  • GP treatment
  • Prescriptions
  • Non-emergency treatment at hospital, including maternity services
  • Emergency treatment at an Accident and Emergency department in hospital
  • Treatment for diseases that are infectious
  • NHS dental treatment,
  • Eyesight sight tests

Download HC1 application form

If you are not getting asylum support from the UK Border Agency (UKBA) you will need to fill in the HC1 form to receive your HC2 Certificate.


You may be entitled to a refund if you have already paid for prescriptions before you received your HC2 Certificate. See “Apply for a refund (HC5 form)” on this page:

Download free guide

The Refugee Council have prepared a useful PDF guide here: